Family therapy is a treatment approach that takes the family unit as its focus. Family therapists understand the emotional and behavioral problems of individuals as often being related to problems in the family systems of which they are part. Family interventions are also used vastly in the treatment of major psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia, depression, alcohol dependent syndrome, conduct disorders, and somatoform disorders to improve the supportive systems and reduce expressive emotion.
Couple therapy is a means of resolving problems and conflicts that couples have not been able to handle effectively on their own. Various marital and sexual issues experienced by the couples are effectively dealt with. The aim is to help them gain a better understanding of themselves and their partner, to decide if they need and want to make changes, and if so, to help them to do so. Marital and sex therapy is also given for these couples.
In Sweekaar Academy of Rehabilitation Sciences, we help individuals and their families:
- Explore the interactional dynamics of their family relationships
- Mobilize the family’s internal strength and functional resources
- Restructure the maladaptive interactional family styles
- Strengthen the family’s problem-solving behavior.
- To promote better and effective communication among the family members.
The individuals and their family members are helped to understand their problems better and how to effectively manage them.