Autism affects the development in the areas of social interaction andcommunication skills. Both children and adults with autism typically show difficulties in verbal and non-verbal communication, social interactions, and leisure or play
Highlights of the centre
- Inaugurated in the year 2003, but regular services started in the year 2009
- Serves as a lab for training and research for the students at SARS:
- MPhil Cl. Psychology
- BSc Audiology, Speech & Language Pathology
- D.Ed :ASD
- BEd and MEd in Special Education
Services are provided by the Multidisciplinary team which consists of specialists from Special Education, Medicine, Psychology and Speech pathology. The team takes care of:
Psychological and behavioural management
Speech and language therapy
Sensory integration therapy: Visual, Tactile, Vestibular
Ball Therapy and Sand play
Recent reviews estimate a global median prevalence of 62/10 000, that is one child in 160 has an autism spectrum disorder.
Currently, 40 children with autism, age group 4-10 years are receiving individualized & group instruction, behavior, speech and sensory integration
Parents reported that their children showed improvement in:
- Eye contact, attention span, sitting in a place more time
- Self care skills, reduction of behavioral problems
- Communication skills, playing with other children
- Sensory, integration
- Pre academics skills
- Socialization skills improved
Above all parents learned how to handle their children.
The children took part in fancy dress and other games activities during various programmes especially on autism day.
The children with developmental delay and autism are taken to the sensory park to play. It helps them to improve sensation, balance and coordination and reduces fear of height.