Dr. P. HANUMANTHA RAO
- P. Hanumantha Rao was born on 16th Sept. 1945, in a family of Medical Practitioners in the old city of Hyderabad. He joined Kakatiya Medical College in 1964. Later he moved back to the twin cities and joined M.D. in pediatrics at Niloufer Hospital. He pursued further training in Rehabilitation Medicine at All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mumbai. He also completed his Ph.D in Rehabilitation Psychology from Osmania University.
- In 1977, the services and awareness in the community was much less regarding the Rehabilitation of the Disabled. As Dr.Rao, being a practicing pediatrician kept this field close to his heart and started school for the mentally challenged in his garage and part of his clinic with 5 children and two staff members which has grown to a 450 room facility manned by 150 dedicated staff serving 1700 beneficiaries per day through all the units established by him.
- His contribution to the field of Rehabilitation of the Disabled is exceptional. Through the facilities that he has created, he could extend services to 69 Lacs of persons with Disabilities and he could contribute 6500 Rehabilitation professionals to the community.
- Dr. Rao has made untiring efforts to take the institution from Hyderabad special school in the gaurage to Sweekaar Rehabilition Institute for Handicapped with the innate urge to develop Rehabilitation professionals; he has changed the name to Sweekaar Academy of Rehabilitation Sciences. Has he started 30 training programs to generate professionals.
- He is one of the Pioneer in the country to begin with the model of multi rehabilitation along his way he could make Sweekaar a premier institution, a model in the country where all types of disabled, of all age groups by all specialists are trained under one roof. It is cost effective, quick service delivery model and one stop service center. This model is replicated in many parts of our country.
- Honored with fellowship by Professional Bodies i.e., Fellow of Indian Academy of Medical Specialists, Fellow of Indian Academy of Pediatrics and Fellow of International Medical Science Academy.
- He has established 4 nonprofit organizations, Sweekaar, Upkaar, Aashray & Suraksha for caring the Mentally, Physically, Visually hearing handicapped, Drug-addicts, Aged, Widows and destitute.
SERVICES IN THE FIELD OF DISABILITY REHABILITATION:
- Executive Committee Member to 9 organizations, Member to 17 Voluntary Organizations & Advisor to 3 Service Organizations.
- Served as Executive Committee Member of Rehabilitation Council of India, Chairman, National Committee on Mental Retardation, Member of Review Committee on National Institutions and Chair Person of Zonal Committee, of RCI, Southern Zone – I.
- Served as National Chairman for Childhood Disability Group of Indian Academy of Pediatrics, on 11/01/2004.
- Conducted 4 National and International conferences, 24th Indian Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (IAPMR) Annual National Conference 04th & 07th Jan 1996.
- 02nd National Conference Childhood Disability Group. Indian Academy of Pediatrics 28th & 29th May 2005.
- 36th Indian association of physical medicine and Rehabilitation (IAPMR) Annual National Conference 18th & 20th Jan 2008.
- 35th National Annual Conference of Indian Association of Clinical psychologists.16th & 18th Jan 2009.
NGO networking with Government, Initiated for the first time in the country-
a) Started an Out Patient Department in Audiology and Speech Therapy in Gandhi Hospital, Govt. of TS.
b) Started a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Centre in Niloufer Hospital, of TS to serve a large number of special children.
c) Established 3 campuses at Kadapa, Guntur & Tandur a miniature of Sweekaar wherein provided service to all types of disabled and started BASLP and B.Ed Special Education courses to develop Rehab Professionals.
RECEIVED ABOUT 37 AWARDS BY STATE, CENTRAL GOVT. & INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS.
- Received memento from Governor of Andhra Pradesh in appreciation of services for Rehabilitation of Mentally Retarded in 1978 at Hyderabad.
- State Award for Outstanding Employer who recruited maximum number of mentally handicapped persons. Awarded by Government of Andhra Pradesh (1987-89).
- State Award in Public Recognition of having recruited maximum number of Mentally Retarded Persons – 1992 was presented on December 29, 1993, by the Directorate for the Welfare of handicapped, Government of Andhra Pradesh.
- State Award to Outstanding Employer – 1993 in recognition of the outstanding services for welfare of handicapped was presented on December 29, 1993, by the Department of Women and Child Welfare, Government of Andhra Pradesh.
- Received Service above Self Award 2008 by Rotary Club of Secunderabad Weston on 26th Oct’2008.
- Received Kapu Ratna Award by Andhra Pradesh Teluga Kapu Balija Sangam, Hyderabad on the Eve of Ugadi on 27th March’09.
- Received Telangana State Level Vishishta Puraskaram Award, Govt of Telangana as the Eminent personality of Telangana for his contribution in the field of Rehabilitation, on the eve of Telangana Formation Day on 02nd June’2018.
- National Award for the welfare of the handicapped was presented by Dr. Shanker Dayal Sharma, President of India, in recognition of the outstanding performance as employer of handicapped persons on 20th March, 1994.
- B.C. Roy National Award for Socio-Medical Relief for 1994 received from Dr.Shankar Dayal Sharma, President of India on 9th November, 1995.
- Received National Award for the Best Individual in the country working for the disabled for the year 2001. (Award was presented on 3rd December 2001 by the Hon’ble Vice President of India).
- Received National Award for the Best Institute in the country working for the disabled for the year 2002. (Award was presented on 3rd December 2002 by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Hon’ble President of India).
- Received National Award for the Best Employer 2008 by the Vice President of India on 3rd Dec’08.
INTERNATIONAL AWARDS :
- Received Distinguished Leadership Award for the year 1996 from ABI Inc., North Corolina, USA., in January 1997. Dr.Rao’s name will be included in International Directory of Distinguished Leadership.
- Received Man of Asia Award in recognition of the services rendered in the field of welfare of Handicapped from International Peace Foundation London, on 26th Sep 96 at London.
- Excellence Award International Peace Foundation Excellence Award 1991 presented by Sri P.V Ranga Rao, Minister for Education, Government of Andhra Pradesh in April, 1992 at Hyderabad.
- Priya Darshini Indira Gandhi Award presented at Bangalore in 1992 by International Integrity, Peace and Friendship Society, Bangalore.
- Received Award for the Community Service Humanitarian given by American Telugu Association ATA, Chicago, USA. Award was presented on 2nd July 04 by Mr. A.V.N. Reddy, President, ATA.
- Received award in Recognition for Outstanding Social Service in the field of Treatment at different levels of Mentally and Physically Handicapped Children by Andhra Janananda Sahaya Sangham, Mauritius on 30th Jan 2007.
- Received AAPIs Outstanding Performance Community Service Award 2009 by American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin on 13th June 09 at Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Received RCI Hong Kong Foundation International Award Individual for Rehabilitation 2010 by Ms. Anne Hawker, President, Rehabilitation International at THPI, Hyderabad on 9th Mar 2010.
- Received International Award for Innovation and Leadership 2018 by Mahez Foundation for Meritorious Achievement in NGO, Presented at 2nd International NGO and CSR Summit 2018 on 15th August’2018 in Malaysia.
- P.Hanumantha Rao dedicated entire life for welfare of disabled sacrificing time, talent, treasure, leisure, pleasure. Could serve 69 Lakhs PWDs. Produced 6500 Rehabilitation Professionals.
- Made Sweekaar model in the country, for one stop service, cost effective, quick service delivery. Earlier the patients used to run from pillar to post and fail to get service.
- Opened 3 campuses in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh. Started courses in Special Education, Speech, Audiology, unparallel.
- Started Institute for Mental Health, for PGDRP, PDCP, M.Phil, M.Ed HI, courses, only one in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh. Only institute conducting Psy.D program in Indian subcontinent.
- Employees who worked, left contributing to society at higher levels in research, striving for excellence in clinical services.
- To reach unreached disabled, developed model to empower parents, care givers giving Home Based Management Training. Parents taught how to give therapies at home, a written note given with images. By this child is not deprived treatment.
- 6500 in Alumni Association.
- JIGNASA Library with 7800 books, access to International Journals. Publishing “Sweekaar Multidisciplinary Research Journal of Rehabilitation Sciences”.
- Rao’s name is mentioned in Book “Institution Builders in the Disability Sector” published by Rehabilitation Council of India.
- Achieved digitalization in Sweekaar for all activities.
- Vision to establish world-class Rehabilitation Institute for Persons with Disabilities.
- Dream to establish “University of Rehabilitation Sciences”.
- To prove disabled are differently abled. No Disabled is un-trainable & uneducable.
- To undertake process research in disability.
- Pasupuleti Hanumantha Rao born in 1945 in family of Doctors in Old City of Hyderabad. After acquiring MD in Pediatrics and Rehabilitation training in AIIPMR, Mumbai, Ph.D in Rehabilitation Psychology. He has published papers in National and International Journals.
- Though 41 years back jobs were lucrative, instead chose Private Practice, started Clinic in the midst of low and middle income group of people. During practice, realized need to render services to persons with disabilities (PWDs) as no rehabilitation facilities available 41 years back.
- Rao established four voluntary organizations Sweekaar, Upkaar, Aashray, Suraksha. Developed Sweekaar specially to care for PWDs ( Divyangjan ).
- With great hope, vision, mission started a facility for mentally challenged with 5 children, 1 teacher in 1977 in Garage and part of his Clinic.
- His innate urge to serve disabled of all age groups, service by all types of specialists, under one roof, under the umbrella of Sweekaar, opened Multispecialty Rehabilitation Centers for Autism, ADHD, Learning Disability, Children with Developmental Delays, Physiotherapy, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Clinical Psychology, Early Intervention for Deaf, High School, Junior College for Deaf, Institute for Mentally ill patients.
- Conducted 600 Free Medical, Health and Disability Detection Camps in Rural, Villages, Urban colonies, Schools, Colleges, Institutions, Govt. Offices like SC Railways, TSRTC, Army, PF, IT companies, Banks, he has been instrumental in extending services to over 69 Lakh PwDs across all types of disabilities over this long period and impacting their lives in a positive manner.
- The condition of disability was least known 41 years back Dr.Rao left no stone unturned he created a sea change in the Society through sensitization programmes, articles in the news papers, magazines, group discussions and talks on Radio, TV, he delivered lectures presented PPTs in many professional bodies like Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Indian Medical Association, Management Associations, Medical Colleges.
- He has initiated several projects, models much before state and central Govt. started working in the disability area. Sweekaar is in the field much before Rehabilitation Council of India, National Institutes, NRHM & NIEPMD came into being.
- Opened three campuses Tandur, Kadapa, Guntur. To serve people of Telangana, Rayalaseema, Coastal Andhra. His contribution unparallel, cost effective, quick service delivery model to reach unreached, to care uncared.
- Realizing Sweekaar alone could not take up this gigantic problem, diversified efforts to generate manpower to fill the gap of shortage of Rehabilitation Professionals established three colleges Institute of Special Education, Speech and Audiology, Mental Health under Sweekaar Academy of Rehabilitation Sciences, one of its kind in the country.
- Started 30 training programmes ranging from Diploma, UG, PG, Post PG’s, Psy-D affiliated to OU & RCI. Recognizing services awards given by RCI “A” Grade, by NAAC “C” Grade.
- Rao’s contribution is unique in country to create hope, smiles on many Divyangjans. Served 69 Lakhs PWDs. Produced 6500 Rehabilitation Professionals. No other institution in the country could do it.
- Received 5 National Awards from President of India 1994 (2 Awards), 2001, 2002, 2008, received additional 56 awards through several Private Institutions in the Country and abroad.
- Created employment for 75 disabled in Sweekaar and the sister organizations and was instrumental for getting placement to 450 disabled persons in the community for which National Award was given by MSJE.
- Contributed professional expertise to several Govt, Non-Govt Organizations. Used strong advocacy pressures for cause of disabled at State, National, and International Level, being part of several expert committees.
Dr.P.Hanumantha Rao’s dedication for welfare of disabled continues to bring a ray of hope which will inspire young professionals to embrace human services, bench marking his services as Role Model to replicate, emulate by others.
- SWEEKAARHYDERABAD SPECIAL SCHOOL FOR MENTALLY HANDICAPPED
- AWARENESS STALL AT ANNUAL INDUSTRIAL EXHIBITION
- LAUNCHING OF VOCATIONAL TRG. PROGRAM (FOR BOYS & GIRLS)
- SHIFTING THE PROGRAM TO RENTED PREMISES
- ENLISTING PROFESSIONAL HELP
- INCREASE OF STRENGTH TO 41 STUDENTS
- SHIFTED THE PROGRAM TO PERMANENT BUILDING WITH TEMPORARY ROOFING
- ACQUIRING A MINIBUS FOR TRANSPORT OF STUDENTS
- RECEIVED NATIONAL AWARD FOR BEST MENTALLY DISABLED EMPLOYEE
- CONSTRUCTION OF PLAY THERAPY HALL
- COMMISSIONING PLANT NURSERY
- INAUGURATION OF PERMANENT BUILDING ON LAND ISSUED BY DEFENCE MINISTRY
- COMMISSIONING OF ENVELOPE MAKING UNIT
- STRENGTH INCREASED TO 72 STUDENTS
- PLACEMENT OF SPECIALISTS UNDER TRAINING AT SWEEKAAR
- ESTABLISHED UPKAAR FREE MEDICAL CARE CENTRE
- STRENGTH INCREASED TO 72 STUDENTS
- INAUGURATION OF 24 HR OXYGEN SUPPLY BANK
- COMMENCEMENT OF DEPT. OF PHYSICAL MEDICINE & REHABILITATION
- COMMENCEMENT OF SPECIAL SCHOOL FOR DEAF
- PURCHASE OF 32 ACRES OF AGRICULTURE LAND TO STARTED RURAL PROGRAMME
- COMMISSIONED RURAL PROJECT FOR ADULT MENTALLY HANDICAPPED
- STARTED MOBILE HEALTH CLINIC IN RURAL AREAS
- UPGRADATION OF PHYSICAL MEDICINE & REHABILITATION CENTRE
- DECENNIAL CELEBRATIONS
- CONSTRUCTION OF BUILDING FOR SPECIAL SCHOOL FOR DEAF
- LAYING FOUNDATION FOR ARTIFICIAL LIMB CENTRE
- INCREASE OF STRENGTH TO 150 STUDENTS
- IDEAL HOME FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
- INAUGURATION OF HALFWAY HOME FOR MENTALLY ILL PATIENTS
- CONSTRUCTION OF ARTIFICIAL LIMB CENTRE COMPLETED
- INAUGURATION OF DIAGNOSTIC CENTRE FOR EXCEPTIONAL CHILDREN
- WINNING GOLD MEDAL IN SPECIAL OLYMPICS BY MR STUDENT
- COMMENCEMENT OF EARLY INTERVENTION SERVICES
- HOLDING OPEN HOUSE WEEK AS PUBLIC AWARENESS PROGRAM
- FORMATION OF PARENTS ASSOCIATION
- EXTENSION SERVICES FOR MR IN RURAL AREAS
- COMMENCEMENT OF IN-HOUSE PROJECT ON COMPILATION SERVICE
- COMMENCEMENT OF RESEARCH & DOCUMENTATION WING
- PROJECT ON PROVIDING POTABLE WATER IN RURAL AREAS
- OPENED UPKAAR DRUG DE-ADDICTION UNIT
- OPENED SPECIAL SCHOOL FOR SLOW LEARNERS
- COMPLETED PROJECT ON LOWCOST RESOURCE MATERIAL FOR MH ASSISTED BY NIMH
- STARTED COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL HEALTH SERVICES
- STARTED SERVICES FOR CEREBRAL PALSY CHILDREN
- STARTED COMPUTER TRAINING CENTRE FOR DEAF
- WON 5 GOLD, 1 SILVER & 4 BRONZE MEDALS IN NATIONAL SPECIAL OLYMPICS BY MR CHILDREN
- STARTED DIPLOMA IN SPL. EDUCATION HEARING IMPAIRMENT (DSE – (HI))
- HOLDING 30 FDD CAMPS & SERVING 81, 026 SLUM POPULATION
- STARTED FREE DENTAL CLINIC
- STARTED PRESCHOOL
- CONSTRUCTION OF ADDITIONAL ACCOMMODATION ( 7, 500 Sft ), TO MEET ADDITIONAL DEMAND
- LAUNCHED BRIDGE COURSE (HI) FOR IN-SERVICE TEACHERS
- INAUGURATION OF SHRUTHI DEGREE COLLEGE B.Sc. (HLS)
- OPENED PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION CENTRE IN NILOUFER HOSPITAL
- OPENED SENSORY PARK
- LAUNCHED PRINTING PRESS, XEROX,DTP FOR MENTALLY HANDICAPPED
- RECEIVED ‘A’ GRADE CERTIFICATE FORM REHABILITATION COUNCIL OF INDIA
- INAUGURATION OF UNNATHI JUNIOR COLLEGE FOR DEAF
- LAUNCHED EARLY INTERVENTION CENTRE FOR DEAF
- LAUNCHED AASHRAY FOR BABIES AT HIGH RISK
- LAUNCHED B.Ed (HI) DISTANCE EDUCATION PROGRAMME
- CMD NOMINATED AS CHAIRMAN TO ZONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE SOUTHERN ZONE – 1
- FOUNDATION COURSE FOR INSERVICE TEACHERS
- ACQUIRED NEW FLOOR BUILDING AS ADDITIONAL ACCOMMODATION AT KOMPALLY
- INAUGURATION OF PG DIPLOMA IN REHABILITATION PSYCHOLOGY
- INSTALLATION OF CLOSE CIRCUIT TV SYSTEM
- VIKALANG BANDHU COURSE
- CONSTRUCTION OF BUILDING FOR TRAINING COLLEGE
- DR. P. RAMARAO’S INSTITUTE FOR AUTISM AND RESEARCH
- LAUNCHED NEWBORN SCREENING PROGRAMME AT NILOUFER HOSPITAL
- STARTED P.G. PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE COURSE
- ESTABLISHED STATE REFERRAL CENTRE
- CMD ELECTED AS NATIONAL CHAIRMAN FOR CHILDHOOD DISABILITY GROUP OF INDIAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRIC
- STARTED M.Sc. (A. S. L.P) at Sec’bad
- STARTED RECREATIONAL THERAPY UNIT
- STARTED SENSORY INTEGRATION UNIT
- ESTABLISHED SWEEKAAR ACADEMY OF REHABILITATION SCIENCES